Over 30 charter attorneys offering expert experience, knowledge and representation.
Paul Minney has represented charter schools in a multitude of critical areas, since the inception of the Charter Schools Act in 1992. After drafting the fifth charter in the state Paul has assisted over 500 charter schools in developing charter petitions, MOU’s, facility use agreements, corporate papers and many other vital charter school documents. His areas of practice also include policy development, governance, Prop. 39 and facilities, revocation, audit defense, dispute resolution, and litigation.
Paul is a frequent speaker at CCSA sponsored events throughout California as well as a contributing author to the National Charter School Law Deskbook published by Lexis Nexis in association with the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools.
Paul continues to be a founding member of the CCSA Legal Defense Fund (an organization designed to provide high quality and comprehensive legal services to all charter schools throughout the state of California) and he was a founding organizer of the National Network of Charter School Attorneys (the goal of this organization is to provide coordinated, effective legal support for charter schools throughout the United States). Paul was also formerly an appointed member of the State Superintendent’s Charter School Advisory Committee and a founding member of the American Inns of Court (Robert G. McGrath, American Inns of Court).
Paul graduated with a B.A. in Political Science from the University of California, Berkeley and received his J.D. cum laude, from Seattle University School of Law.
Paul has been involved in litigating almost every seminal California charter school case since the inception of the Charter Schools Act, including but not limited to, the following recent cases:
- Ochoa v. Anaheim City School District 11 Cal. App. 5th 209 (2017)
- Rocketship Education v. Mt. Diablo Unified School District (2017)
- Alternative Schools, Inc. v. Los Angeles Unified School District (2016)
- Anaheim Union Hill School District & Anaheim Elementary School District v. Orange County Department of Education (2016)
- Mt. Diablo Unified School District v . Contra Costa County Board of Education (2015)
- Morgan Hill Unified School District v. Santa Clara County Board of Education (2015)
- Dozier-Libby Medical High School et al., v. Antioch Unified School District, et al. (2014)
- Magnolia Educational & Research Foundation v. Los Angeles Unified School District (2014)
- Newhall School District v. Acton-Agua Dulce Unified School District, et. al. (2014)
- Liberty Family Academy v. North Monterey USD (Case No. H034551)
- Bullis Charter School v. Los Altos School District (Case No. H035195)
- UTLA v. Los Angeles Unified School District (2011)
- Alfaro v Los Angeles Unified School District (2011)
- CSBA v. State Board of Education
- Shapiro v. LAUSD/Birmingham Charter High School
- MATES Charter School v. Conejo Valley Unified School District (2009)
- California School Boards Assoc. et al v. Cal. Dept of Education and State Board of Education (2008)
- New West Charter School v. Los Angeles Unified School District, Case No. BS 115979 (2008) Sequoia School District v. Aurora Charter School (2003)
- California School Boards Assoc. v. State Board of Education and Aspire Public Schools (2008)
- California School Board Association v Board of Education and Aspire Public Schools (2008)
- CCSA Green Dot, PUC et al. v LAUSD 2008
- CCSA v San Diego City School District (2005)
- Ridgecrest Charter School v. Sierra Sands School District (2005)
- Richard Standley v. Office of Administrative Hearings (2004)
- BASIS v. Sunol Glen School District (2004)