YM&C’s one-stop shop for charter school resources.
Young, Minney & Corr, LLP is dedicated to our clients’ success — which includes providing you with valuable resources above and beyond our direct legal representation and technical assistance. We hope that the following documents will be of use to you.
Local Control Funding Formula Legal Issues
Managing Disruptive Parents
Preparing for Renewal
Charter Revocation and Revocation Appeals
Charter Renewal and Appeal of Non-Renewal
Statutes and Regulations Making Up the Parent Empowerment Act
Pupil Fees and Related Charges and Implementation of AB 1575
Statutes Making Up the Brown Act
Beware Misleading Corporate Solicitations
Technical Assistance For California Charter Schools
IRS Charter School Reference Guide
IRS Charter School Guide Sheet
2006 Legislative Summary Letter
New Model Oversight MOU from the SBE
Suggestions for Reducing Annual Legal Fees
CDE Analysis of Application for Statewide Charter Schools
SBE Members and Bios
- Selective granting of charter petitions that have been denied or not renewed by local education agencies, but that the State Board determines to have met statutory requirements;
- Taking appropriate action, including, but not limited to, revocation with respect to State Board-granted and locally-granted charters under specific circumstances set forth in statute;
- Establishing appropriate funding levels for non-classroom-based charter schools;
- Jointly with the State Superintendent, approving district-wide charter petitions when those petitions are determined to be satisfactory;
- Developing and adopting regulations to implement various provisions of the Charter Schools Act of 1992 (Part 26.8 of the Education Code, commencing with Section 47600);
- Approving or denying requests to waive otherwise applicable provisions of law;
- Assigning numbers to charter school petitions to ensure that the statutory cap on the number of charter schools is not exceeded; and
- Following the passage of AB 2030, overturning charter revocations if the SBE determines that the revocation was not based on substantial evidence.
ACCS Members and Bios
- Selective granting of charters;
- Taking appropriate action, including, but not limited to, revocation of charters;
- Establishing appropriate funding levels for non-classroom based charter schools and passing the recommendations on to the SBE for final approval.
- Evaluating the charter schools appealing to the SBE for approval (the ACCS then makes a recommendation to the SBE to approve or deny the petition;
- Developing charter school-specific regulations for approval by the SBE.
State Board of Education Approved Charter Schools Oversight Documents
State Board of Education Regulations for the Review and Approval of Charter School Petitions on Appeal
UPDATED Jan 2015 – This document lists the regulations the SBE uses when reviewing the elements of a charter petition submitted for its approval. These regulations attempt to convey to charter petitioners the State Board of Education’s understanding of the meaning of the elements specified in Calif. Educ. Code § 47605(b). PDF »
State Board of Education Regulations for the Review and Approval of Statewide Charter Schools
This document lists the regulations the SBE uses when reviewing the elements of a statewide benefit charter school petition submitted for its approval. These regulations attempt to convey to charter petitioners the State Board of Education’s understanding of the meaning of the elements specified in Calif. Educ. Code § 47605.8. PDF »
Education Audit Appeals Panel Regulations for Audits of Charter Schools
Charter schools are required to undergo yearly independent audits. A challenge to an audit finding is brought before the Education Audit Appeals Panel (EAAP). This link brings together in one convenient location the regulations EAAP uses to review appeals of audit findings. PDF »
If you would prefer to receive the documents in Microsoft Word, please contact Melanie McAlpine at 916.646.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.