Practice AreasYM&C provides legal counsel for every aspect of charter school law.
YM&C attorneys have extensive knowledge of state and federal special education laws, the relationship between a charter school and its authorizer as relates to the delivery and funding of special education instruction and related services, the transition to operation as an LEA and member of a SELPA, and defense of claims under the IDEA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
YM&C attorneys aggressively defend charter schools against claims brought under the IDEA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Additionally, we are experts at preventive counseling in IDEA and Section 504 compliance, assisting charter schools in understanding legal requirements and the developing and maintaining of legally compliant policies and procedures related to students with disabilities. YM&C is an industry leader in negotiating agreements between charter schools and authorizers related to special education service delivery and funding and preparing the applications necessary for SELPA membership. We regularly provide workshops and trainings on the IDEA and Section 504, with a specific focus toward charter schools engaging in the best practices for lawfully supporting and addressing the needs of disabled students.
YM&C attorneys can help you navigate difficult public education situations and develop strategies to avoid liability, create effective defenses to litigation and strengthen your educational programs for students with disabilities. These include, but are not limited to:
- Compliance with the IDEA
- Defense of Special education due process hearings brought by parents or guardians.
- Representation of charter schools in claims brought by charter schools against parents to advocate for the Student’s access to a free appropriate public education.
- Representation during pre-hearing mediations and development of settlement agreements
- Compliance with Section 504
- Defense of State and federal compliance complaints
- Compliance with Child-Find Requirements
- Development and maintaince of Special education policies and procedures
- IEP meeting attendance
- IEP development
- IEP implementation and related services
- SELPA applications and admission requirements
- Communication with parents and advocates
- Managing special education records